Mediation is a way of sorting through disagreements, where a mediator helps you to find a solution to your problem.
Mediation aims to help people solve problems they may have such as:
- Allowing people to see how they could resolve the situation
- Allow people to come up with their own solutions to benefit everyone involved in the dispute
- Allow people to rebuild their relationships
- Work together to find an agreement
Mediation is generally a cheaper and quicker solution than going to court. It can be used to settle a wide range of disputes, including individual and commercial. It is best to start the mediation process as soon as the problem occurs to stop the problem escalating.
Mediation gives you a chance to talk through your side of the story in a supportive environment. It also allows you to start to resolve the problem.
If both sides agree to come along to a meeting the mediator will:
- Explain how the meeting will work and ask everyone to agree on some basic ground rules
- Everyone will have a chance to talk about how the issue has affected them
- The mediator will help both sides agree on the issues that need resolving
- Once an agreement has been made it is usually written down and signed by both parties
Jeffrey Mills Solicitors are Resolution Members which means we are committed to the constructive resolution of family disputes. The principles of this code have been widely recognised and adopted by the Law Society as recommended good practice for all family lawyers. Mediation is also used in litigation, and in this case it would be an independent court appointed mediator.
Jeffrey Mills Solicitors have the correct experience to advise you on many aspects of Alternative Dispute Resolution and Mediation whether you are an individual or a business. We will guide you through how and when to use such alternatives to minimise any impact on costs and reputation. Contact us for more information.
Contact your specialist for advice.
Head of Family Law Department
Tel: 01480 219699